5 Tips For Keeping Your Rug Clean
Do you want to preserve the quality and appearance of your rug but don’t know how? I know what you’re thinking: Cleaning your rug can be a difficult and weary task, not to mention costly—but it doesn’t have to be. Here are 5 easy tips for keeping your rug clean, no matter what type or size it may be, all in a cost effective manner.
1. When entering your home, remove your shoes to prevent tracking in unnecessary dirt and germs from outdoors. Walking across your rug with shoes on can cause bacteria to get trapped deep within your rug, which may potentially lead to health hazards.
2. Use a vacuum cleaner regularly to pick up crumbs, dirt, dust, and hair. If possible, be sure to move aside any furniture that is on top of the rug to ensure that all hidden areas are being tended to. The use of a vacuum cleaner with a power nozzle is also recommended for a more thorough cleaning experience.
3. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda over your rug to remove any unwanted odors caused by cooking, smoking, or pets. Let the baking soda sit for a few hours and then follow up with a vacuuming session. Baking soda has been proven to naturally deodorize rugs and carpets. Keep in mind that stronger odors will require the baking soda to be left on the rug for a longer period of time. As with any cleaning products, be sure to test out in an area that cannot be seen easily.
4. Do not wait to remove a stain from your rug. There are special household items that will treat these unpleasant spots and refurbish your rug in a timely manner. Research shows that the natural combination of salt and vinegar will clean rugs. All you have to do is mix the two together, pour it into a spray bottle container, and then penetrate the desired area. Use a clean sponge to gently scrub in a circular movement until the stain disappears. Once the rug dries, vacuum the salt remains. Again, as with all cleaning remedies, make sure to test out in inconspicuous areas.
5. Be more cautious—meaning, before your decide to pour yourself a glass of red wine, remember to pay special attention to your rug. Watch your step to avoid accidents and be careful not to spill anything.
To increase the lifespan of your rug, it is imperative to approach your rug with caution and treat it with delicacy at all times. There is no such thing as a rug that can’t be preserved; so never give up hope on your beloved rug. Utilize these tips and your rug will remain in tiptop condition for as long as possible!